Sunday, September 24, 2006

Consumption: New Computer

While I love personal care products, I am rather sceptical about consumer culture in general and thus typically do not spend a lot of time talking about things that I buy. *** The recent purchase of an IMac, however, justifies an exception; I like computers and it is a large investment. *** For exactly two years I had a Toshiba laptop which worked great but had recently begun having overheating problems. Then one day some kind of operating error left it unable to get past the black-and-white, 30 second countdown screen that appears when it has shut down unexpectedly or improperly (it would count down, and then instead of starting it would just go back to the 30 second countdown screen and repeat, until the computer just turned itself off). *** The laptop was for home use, and since portability was not a huge issue its aesthetic appearance became a bigger selling point. Not shocked that it died after 2 years, but disappointed nonetheless, I decided to give Apple a try (charitable endeavors notwithstanding, d*mn you Bill Gates!). *** That said, I recently picked up the basic IMac package from the Apple store in the Aventura Mall. Because the monitor and cpu are contained in the same unit, that plus the keyboard and mouse are all that's required, which makes for a very cool design. The biggest difference from a PC is learning some new commands, programs, formatting features and operational things, but if you enjoy computers and do not mind playing around and learning about a new machine you should be fine. As represented in its advertising, this computer is indeed very user-friendly. One thing I have begun to notice a bit is that some multimedia stuff available on Windows is not available for the Mac, so be advised. If this is done in an effort to better secure the machine, that actually is okay with me. *** 24 hours into it, I am quite pleased with the IMac thus far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home